Sunday, June 21, 2009

Hey , Floyd Draw!....Oh Right , You Can't



What do you get when you put Floyd Mayweather in a fight with another counterpuncher? A fight that seems to have trouble drawing flies. Maybe that's a little harsh , but the reality is that two counterpunchers , no matter how skilled , is not going to be a fight of the year candidate.

PBF (Pretty Boring Floyd ) has got to have one friend that he can buy that will be honest enough to tell Floyd , "Dude , most of the people buying tickets want to see you get knocked out!" But in Floyd's world he is the draw. He recently said that he was coming back because " I missed boxing and boxing missed me." Well that is half right anyway. I'm sure something you have done your whole life and have , I'll admit it begrudgingly , been good at must be a little like being homesick.

Your pound for pound crown has been bestowed on that Filipino cyclone named Pacquiao. And Manny has more than ably worn that crown with great pride and to us boxing fans he has worn it with excitement. Something that seemed to be missing during your reign.

So does Floyd come out of retirement and honestly go after Pacquiao. No. Mayweather and Marquez see a win in their fight as a ticket to the Pacman bowl. Only trouble is that Manny doesn't want a third fight with Marquez and Floyd evidently believes that he is the boxer everyone wants to see. Hey Floyd! Wake up and welcome to reality. Making it rain money on 24/7 only makes you look like a spoiled little kid , last I looked I didn't see too many adults running up to kids like that to say how precious they were. On your De La Hoya 24/7 you were quoted as saying that you were going to kill the m_____ f_____. I think the boxing law states that you have to be an offensive minded fighter to say those words. Your fight was more like a game of tag. And truth be known DeLa Hoya won every round that he used his jab. The same jab that Freddie Roach implored Oscar to use the whole fight.

You are a defensive genius and your wins over Gatti and Corrales were masterpieces. But your fights at welterweights are the equivalent of a sleep aid. People walked out on your fight with Baldomir. And now you wait for the people to greet you with open arms. Wide open yawns are more likely. Look at your recent history. De La Hoya was the draw. Hatton. Ricky was the draw.

You need a dance partner that hates to dance. Cotto , Clottey or better yet , Shane Mosley. I know alot of boxing fans and the report of you coming back was greeted with a....well, nothing. Nobody really seemed to care. Reports that your fight with Marquez was a hard sell should tell you something. Stop acting like you are the man. You've been replaced , but you want your old job back. It is like me telling my old boss , "I will do half the work , make people hate me and I want you to pay me twice as much as my coworkers." And I'm so out of touch that I honestly believe what I ask for. Sorry Floyd , it just ain't happening. Fight fans are smarter than that. Maybe its time to join us in the real world.

Source: examiner.com